Wednesday, March 31, 2010

That seems like a lot...

Deuteronomy 6:5-9 (English Standard Version)

5You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7C)"> You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8D)"> You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9E)"> You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.


Committing everything I am, and do to God is hard. Loving God with all of me is hard.
That's probably why the passage says to love God first, because it's impossible to live a life dedicated to God without first loving Him.
Thinking on the first verse, I know I love God with my soul, because through God I have been set free from sin. With my heart I love Him because I have been healed from many hurts. With my might? Not much lovin' going on there. Sure, I do stuff at church, but those merely have the label of being for God. I need my whole life to have one purpose, which is to be an offering to God. My offering is humility, and obedience-1 Samuel 15:22. I can't love God because I get caught up in doing what I think is right, rather than what He commands me to do, and "good intentions" blind me from seeing God. If I loved God more, and ignored myself, I could see Him for what He is, which is beautiful. Maybe it is then that I would declare God in all that I do. It's hard not to talk of something I know to be awesome. Like my mom's food. I would talk day and night about it if I could.
What about God? I have seen with my own eyes what He can and has done for me, and I have heard His voice. Why not wear His name as a banner on my forehead? In my relationships, in school?
God is more than that Awesome.

No comments: